tiistaina, joulukuuta 06, 2005

This is so much fun

I'm having so much fun being in here. Today morning, when I was strolling around in the university bookstore, I realized it. I truly am in California and I'm here, not as a tourist, but staying here for a while. I don't have to try to jump to see everything at once (even though, it probably means that I'll see in some ways less than I would were I here for two weeks as a tourist). It is so great to be able to get to know the place leisurely. And so great to do that in a country where I can actually understand what people are saying (the only other time I've been away for a longer period of time was to Japan and I don't speak any Japanese - the experience was very much different).

Lots of things to do, though, but my jetlag seems to be a little less bad than it was yesterday. Perhaps 8 hours of good sleep during the night had something to do with it. Sleep is good. Getting things done is good too. So next step: getting bank account and to rent a car.

It also seems that I forgot my mp3 player home and have to get another one. Luckily they are rather cheap nowadays and I've got my music with me.

4 kommenttia:

Anonyymi kirjoitti...

Otsikon sanamuoto on kyllä ymmärtääkseni englannin kielessä sarkastinen... :)

:frog

Mikko Särelä kirjoitti...

I am fully aware that it can be sarcastic, but as I understand, it can be either sarcastic or not, depending on how you say it. Perhaps the choice was not the best possible though, considering that one cannot convey the way in which

Anonyymi kirjoitti...

sarcastic, schmartastic. kuinka paljon kampan eli huoneen vuokra siella maksaa? Ja mikas siella lampimassa ollessa. siella ei liene viela liian kuumakaan, mutta arvatenkin pian alkaa taas kuumottaa.
joko olet keksinyt joulu--- anteeksi, "holiday"-puuhaa? Frog jo huomauttikin (jokavuotisesta) joulu-termin kaytosta tappelusta >;P
mb

Mikko Särelä kirjoitti...

Joulu maksaa täällä... kröhöm, eikun siis huoneen vuokra minulla on sellaiset reilut $600 + puolet käyttömaksuista (utilities). Ja eipä täällä kovin lämmin ole, sellaista vajaata 20C päivisin ja öisin on tosi kylmä - saattaa olla jopa lähellä 5C. Kuumakaan täällä ei ilmeisesti koskaan tule - kesällä Losissa on kuumempaa kuin täällä. Lämpötilat pysyttelevät ilmeisesti pääsääntöisesti n. 80 fahrenheitissa kesälläkin.

Eihän täällä kenelläkään mitään joulu (yule) -termiä vastaan ole. Se on se kristusmessu, jota ihmiset kovasti vastustavat :) Puuhaa en ole vielä keksinyt, täytyy tällä viikolla selvitellä yliopiston kansainvälisestä keskuksesta onko heillä jotain järjestettyä silloin.